Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Feel Better" Food

Well it was inevitable.  I usually get a head cold at least once of twice a year, and so I guess it was about time.  But this one was thanks to my husband, who caught it from the coughing guy a few rows back on his last trip to Georgia.  With a sore throat, I figured it was a great night to blog.  So, as most of you know, with the best of colds comes comfy pjs, lots of tea with honey and what I call "feel better" foods.

I know what really makes me feel better with a head cold.  But I wanted to pose this questions to a few friends to see what they thought.  What makes people feel good is a bit subjective, so I thought it was interesting to hear some of their answers.  But the thing I noticed in everything was of course warm, hearty comfort foods.

Since the seasons are *crosses fingers* about to change here in LA, here are a few "Feel Better" foods in case you too find yourself needing some comfort food.

My "Feel Better" - Thai Coconut Chicken Soup

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coconut-Chicken-Soup-5412

I love this recipe.  It has a ton of flavor.  The coconut milk is creamy and smooth on my sore throat.  And the spice from the chilies and other spices help to clear up my sinus...at least for a few minutes.  Of course, a quick call to your favorite Thai place is easier.  But just in case you wanted to try for yourself, here you go.

Ultimate Comfort "Feel Better" - Chicken and Dumplings

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-and-dumplings-72963

An obviously great comfort food.  Lots of chicken, creamy dumplings and just a few veggies to make you feel a little better.  But who cares, comfort food is about comfort.  Of course, this southern dish might be hard to find here in LA.  Trust me though, this is deep down "feel better" so give it a try!

Most Unique "Feel Better" - Spaghetti Sandwich

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/spaghetti-sandwich-recipe/index.html

So I've never really heard about this one, but I found it so interesting I had to put in down.  The recipe above got a great rating, but it looks pretty complicated.  I'm pretty sure you can get away with your favorite spaghetti between two slices of garlic bread and some parm.  Either way, sounds tasty, if not slightly odd.

Of course some close runners-up were the classic "feel-better" chicken noodle soup, and a japanese version called udon.  Another was mashed potatoes and I had one vote for 13-bean soup.  All suggestions were great.  Thanks so much.  For those of you who didn't get to chime in, I would love to hear your favorite comfort foods.

Until Next Time, Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment