Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thai Boom Indeed

Oh Thai food...how do I love thee, let me count the ways.  Thai food has some of the best flavor profiles in Asian cuisine.  I love the spices, the coconut milk and the curry.  So I knew one of the first things I had to do when I moved to L.A. was to find my new Thai place.  While the place I found wasn't in my neighborhood, it was great enough to tell you guys about!

Located on Venice Blvd in Culver City is Thai Boom.  The restaurant itself was decent.  Not overly decorated from what I could tell.  The interior was a little boring and plain.  The wait staff were really nice though, and we were seated and served quickly.  I used to work as a hostess and server, so these things are a big deal to me.

So lets get to the good stuff!!  The food was amazing.  We started out with the steamed dumplings for an appetizer.  Take a look:


While this style of dumpling isn't my favorite, these were really nice.  They were perfectly steamed, the pork was very tasty, and the sauce served with them really added to the flavor.  They also brought out a spicy chicken soup to every table.  My husband understands that if I ever get sick, he will unfortunately have to drive to Culver City to pick up a bowl of this amazing chicken soup!  The broth was a nice balance of savory and spicy.  But enough about that.  On to the main event.  

I have a few dishes that I always order when I go into a new restaurant.  And when I try a new Thai place, I have to sample their red curry.  Just like a first kiss, it tells you everything you need to know.  And that is exactly what I ordered.  And it was ah. maz.  ing.  Take a look:


The curry and coconut milk were rich and savory.  The veggies were perfectly cooked.  I love pork in my Thai dishes, so that is exactly what I ordered.  All in all I was very impressed with the quality of food that was offered.  Added with the jasmine rice that comes with this dish and it was a great red curry.  It completely passed my test.  It was a great "first kiss".

So what is my final verdict?  I would definitely come back, but since its a little more than 30 minutes away from me, its too far to turn to often.  But if you are up for a drive, or live in the area, I would say give it a try.  One more L.A. restaurant down, many more to go.  Stay tuned.

And as always, Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment