Sunday, September 4, 2011

And on every corner...

If there is one thing I have noticed since moving to LA, is that it seems every single corner has either a donut shop, a pizza parlor or a sushi house.  Well at least this is true in my neighborhood.  Now I'm the kind of girl who never eats at a chain unless its unavoidable, so naturally I really looked forward to checking out these little mom and pop places.

So I decided to start with the pizza parlor.  With the many many choices out there, it took my husband randomly spotting this joint on the way home one night to decide on where to begin.  Cue: Taste Chicago.  Located on the corner of Hollywood Way and Verdugo in Burbank, this restaurant was started by actor Joe Mantegna and his wife Arlene.  It has a very sporty atmosphere with lots of Chicago jerseys on the the walls and TVs turned to the game.

The food choices are very much what you would expect from a Chicago style eatery.  Chicago dogs, cheesecake, and of course, deep dish pizza.  Since we were in the mood for pizza we decided on a pepperoni deep dish with a side of cheesy garlic break.  While it was a little pricy - around $30 for one pie - this pizza was amazing!  Each slice was almost a meal in itself.  The chunky tomato sauce was perfectly seasoned, and there was a generous helping of pepperoni.  Truly amazing if you enjoy deep dish.  The cheesy garlic bread was in a word, sinful!  There was so much butter and cheese, Paula Deen would have been proud.  Super heavy for an appetizer, so be prepared.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised by Taste Chicago.  The pizza was amazing, the garlic bread was decent, and left overs were just as great the next day.  The only down side was the price.  But I guess for the sheer weight of this pizza it wasn't too bad.  We will definitly be back!  Looking forward to checking out some of their other menu selections.

Until next time, Guten Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. You sold me on it! Funny how you said, "Paula Deen would have been proud." If Paula is proud, I'm proud. Exciting blog!!! I can't wait to drool for more appetizing eateries in your area.

    ReplyDelete